Monday, July 1, 2013

Base Phase DONE, with Family!



Major milestone hit this week by finishing the first phase of my training. Base phase was actually pretty easy, so I am interested to see what the next few weeks bring.

What made this week even more special was being able to do the last four workouts with my family. I shuffled a few workouts around to accommodate my cousin's wedding and everything worked out great! Mostly my bike rides were with my aunt and Dad, and my running was accompanied by my aunt as well. A small group of us would get ready to either bike, run, walk, jog, etc, and then we would head off at our respective paces. It really wasn't a big deal about breaking away from the pack, but what was important was us all doing something active, and returning to the vacation rental to all say what we accomplished.

I did find it a little odd having company on my runs at first. My aunt slowed down to my pace and we held it quite nicely and even my niece stuck with us for a mile! 1 hour 30 mins running was the longest run so far in the program and it went by quick! Having someone to chat with was pretty awesome, and I got to pick her brain about everything Ironman. (2 time finisher, yeah, she's pretty cool)

You don't see this weeks long bike ride since I did shuffle things around and you won't see it til next week Monday, but it was just shy of 3 hours long.

We will be packing it up tomorrow morning to head back home, but I gotta say that this vacation was pretty sweet and it couldn't have come at a better time in my training program. Finishing a milestone with so many around just made it mean something that much more.