Monday, June 3, 2013

Week 6 - First outdoor, long ride with the tri bike


Week 6 is done. (with a swim on Sunday that is going towards week 7)

This week's milestone was taking the tri bike out for the first time! Now, since the first week of training, I have been using the tri bike on the indoor trainer for my brick workouts and my 100+ cadence technique workouts. These usually fell on Tuesdays and Fridays.

This week, however, my Dad came out to my neck of the woods on Saturday, which means we usually ride the San Gabriel River Path. We usually start at iconic area #3 (see the link), and either head north or south. Well, Saturday was shaping up to be blazing hot, so we headed south to Long Beach. Which is awesome we get to see the Queen Mary and whatnot. The path is a multi-use path with no vehicular traffic and no climbing, so it was perfect for testing the tri bike out.

I was a bit nervous, with my Dad out, there was a risk we'd get like 10 miles in and I'd be so uncomfortable we'd have to turn around and dredge back to the car. I am happy to report that was not the case, and I was able to do 50 miles with minimal discomfort for maybe the last 10 miles or so. MY NECK/SHOULDERS GOT TIRED! The soreness went away after 2 days though. So here I sit Monday evening, and I feel pretty good (especially after a 1h15m run in 100 F heat)