Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 7 - Training away from home


This week I was away from home and up in Hell Redding, CA where there was record breaking triple digit heat. It were hot!

The workout week seems a little light due to the lack of swimming. It is a shame really since I did purchase some stationary swim gear Aqua Sphere Stationary Swimmer, which I did use at the hotel on  Sunday (week 6), however I managed to forget my earplugs. :(  I really have to swim with earplugs otherwise my ears feel like they are going to explode and I kinda get an earache for about 12 hours and a risk to an ear infection. When I tested it out on Sunday, I swam for 30 minutes and my ears just couldn't take it anymore and I slept pretty terrible. It was hard to be motivated and do another swim during the week, so I just didn't bother.

I also missed out on a 60 minute, low intensity (Z1) 100+ cadence technique ride. The day I planned to do this was the same day I had to fully suit up in hazardous chemical protective equipment with a respirator and SCBA tank strapped to my back in TRIPLE DIGIT HEAT. By the time I got back to the hotel, I really could not be arsed to do that workout on a recumbent stationary trainer where the left foot strap was broken anyways.

The week was mostly filled with my appetite being upset (not getting hungry for dinner and eating at 9:30pm most nights), sleeping pretty late (after midnight, due to eating dinner so late), and eating really terrible (due to Redding have two types of food, burgers or Mexican).

I am really proud of myself for breaking the 1 hour run mark twice this week especially in the massive heat! I hope to do a mid-week post showcasing the Sacramento River Trail/Sundial Bridge before I forget about it. Really great running trail!