Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Week 8 - Recovery weeks seem more difficult



This week was what we would call a "recovery week", which means that basically the week 8 is similar to week 6... I think. This is supposed to give my body a little break before the training program tacks on a little bit more volume for weeks 9 and 10.

What I am finding with these recovery weeks, is that I seem to be much less motivated for the workouts that for the next weeks. I am not sure if that is because I'm having carryover from the weeks prior and my body needs this lower volume for rest or if the lower volume is just unmotivating.

Unmotivating so much, that come Wednesday evening, I just couldn't seem to be bothered with my 60 minute run (a long work day might have had something to do with that too), but instead I just opted to get some dinner and then do the planned run on Thursday morning instead. Yeah, it took away my rest day, but I still got 36 hours of rest in between Thursdays morning run and Fridays bike workout. However, doing this, I learned that my body is really not primed to run in the morning. The legs/knees just felt sore, speed was low, and heartrate wouldn't leave Zone 1 so I just felt lazy, I didn't want to run any faster, and then I cut the darn run short by 9 minutes!

Still feeling pretty good overall though. I've only missed two workouts (1 swim, 1 bike) in the 8 weeks so far. 22 weeks to go!