Sunday, May 5, 2013

Week 2


Week 2 is in the books and my biggest lesson this week has been to take it easy on the extra curricular (read: social life) :( It kinda sucks to have to say that, but I shuffled my workouts and front-loaded the week so I could drive out to Tulare for some cool explosives training class. It was totally worth it for the class, but I know that it really takes a lot of energy to do what I did.

Notably, moving my 'long' 60 minute run to Wednesday, which included a morning swim, and then waking early on Thursday to fit in a 45 min run. A little too packed of running in a short time, along with a bike on Thursday after going out to dinner with the family, and then waking up early for a Friday swim. That was all capped off with a 3 hour drive to Tulare after 8 hours of work.

Speaking of Thursdays early bike, I am having trouble following the program. The training calls for Zone 1 heart rate training at a 100+ cadence on the bike. Even in the lowest gear of my bicycle, after about 4-6 minutes, my heartrate pops over Zone 1. Zone 1 for me is 121-139 bpm. Either I have really low endurance at high cadence or I have calculated my max heartrate for the bike wrong. I also find it kinda uncomfortable in the saddle when I have to peddle so fast without resistance. I may raise my saddle up a tad and see if that helps.

Thursday bike was also supposed to be 30 minutes long, but doing the math I see I only did 21 minutes. Basically, after 13 mins, TrainerRoad decided to crash at some undetermined time and I needed to stop peddling to get it up and running again. During this time I was also getting really irritated at the evening news because they were covering a huge fire constantly, do you have any idea how boring it is to do an indoor bike ride and just watch fire on TV? About as boring as watching the yule log on KCAL9 every Christmas... except this time you have no music and no presents. Its boring!!

So, crashed indoor trainer program, uncomfortable saddle parts, and annoying TV made me quit early by what I think is more like 5-6 mins short.

WEEK 2 DONE!