Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Week 27 - Longest weekend run/rides accomplished!


As you can see, it was a little run light this week... I missed both run workouts planned during the week. I actually don't remember why I missed the run workout on Tuesday but Thursday's run was missed because I went to a Kings game and got off work too late to fit it in before hand. OH! I remember, I missed Tuesday because I decided to take my TT bike into the shop for a good clean up before the race! It was extremely worth it. The brakes are snappy, the gear shifting doesn't slip, and they even replaced the shifter knobs that the cats decided to chew on!

Running missed aside (which I actually think I needed because my leg was still a little sore), my long 3 hour run was alright. I stuck to the 4 min run : 1 min walk regiment, and pretty much held a 12:30 min/mile pace the entire time. What I am basically trying to accomplish come race day is be able to hold a steady pace on the run without having to think about pace, if that makes sense. The run is going to be more of a mental game for me and all I want to think about is eat/drink/run/walk. This last run only had me do 14.38 miles, and I have to say it worries me quite a bit on this somewhat low mileage. I read that at minimum two 15 mile runs are recommended in marathon training.. so maybe I'm not too far off.. but still. =/

My long bike was pretty good. It was a scheduled 6 hour bike and I wound up doing only 5:15 of it. 6 hours of moving time is a pretty long time, and I am just not sure you need to "do the distance" before race day to be ready for it. 87 miles in 5:15 on basically the same elevation profile in AZ is good in my opinion. I alternate [Gu & bottle of water] with [sports drink] each hour and felt good. I am not sure what to do around lunch time though.. I get hungry. I am wondering if I can get my mom to bake cookies and have some chips and a drink in my special needs bag and kind of have a real lunch? My stomach can tolerate it, I'm sure.

So, with that, the week that was supposed to be the highest volume, wound up being pretty much average. I think it was just important to get those long rides in and make sure everything was dialed in. At this point I just need to trust my training!