Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Week 15 - Half way there and I got a cold



Oooo, look at how empty this week looks!

I had an amazing swim Wednesday morning, I broke 1:30/100yrds (1:25 and 1:28, to be exact), and was feeling pretty awesome about that. But, come maybe around 2pm that day, I started to feel pretty run down and my throat was scratchy, I decided that I would avoid the run that evening and just do it Thursday morning. Well, next morning rolls around and I could tell I wasn't just run down, I was actually kinda sick with something. :(

Somehow I was able to convince myself that I should rest on Friday as well. I did wake up Friday for swim, took a couple deep breaths and was like, "Nope, not happening!" and went back to bed. I felt not too shabby Friday evening, but still took the day off thinking that I should be all better come Saturday. I woke up Saturday with a bit of a scratchy throat and congestion, but figured it was just left overs of the cold.

Well... that turned out to be a bad idea. About 50 mins into my easy weekend run, I just felt terrible. Walk, jog, walk, jog, walk the rest of the way home, cut the run short. Sauntered into the shower, and came out looking pretty darn pale, no color in the lips, laid down on the bed for a little, then managed to get up to go to lunch. I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes without feeling sick, but felt a little better after eating. The rest of the day was pretty much lay around until I had the energy to go to my niece's birthday party. Ducked out early because I started to feel run down again. Bleh. Took Sunday and Monday morning off. Woke up Monday without the scratchy throat and did my afternoon run.

What I learned is that I should have just waited! I gained nothing from going for my run on Saturday. If anything I set myself back a day or two. And when I ran on Monday, I took it somewhat easy, but in no way did I actually lose ANY fitness!

Getting sick was pretty much one of the top things I did not want to happen during my training, so when I got this cold, I had some moments of panic and dread, but really I don't think I should have worried. I've been working hard at this, and 5 days off shouldn't set me back, and it doesn't appear it has. So this is all good!