Friday, September 13, 2013

Week 19 & 20 - Heat waves and on-calls


Humid heat waves suuuuuuck. I can run/bike in hot, dry weather all day long, but this girl is just not used to there being any measurable amount of humidity when working out. Working out in the evenings was out of the question really, just too hot, too humid. So, I try to do a run or two in the mornings.. and those went "OK", but they were still pretty terrible. It should not be 80 degs at 7am :(

The A/C in the house has been out for some time now, so even my afternoon indoor bike rides were sacked. Then I got the idea to put the trainer upstairs next to the one-room a/c unit we bought for the bedroom. That helped!

I did one treadmill run for 1:15. I found out that it is incredibly easy to trick myself into doing something as torturous as 1:15 on a treadmill in a garage where it is still felt like 90 degs in. At 0:30 in, "Okay Lisa, just finish this one lap.", one lap goes by.. "Okay Lisa, just make it to 0:45 then quit.", get to 0:45.. "Okay Lisa, just finish this chapter." (reading Chrissie Wellington's book.. good?, eh. Interesting though!) finish the chapter... "Okay Lisa, just 10 mins of high intensity." finish 10 mins... "Okay Lisa, just 5 minutes left!" FINISH! .. LMAO..

Week 19's long bike ride went something like this: Drive out to my parents and arrive around 9am.. start getting ready and Dad and I go outside and give eachother this look like, "I'm not sure this is a good idea... 4 hours is a long time.." At which point we didn't really have to convince eachother to just sack the ride. Dad did suggest maybe getting in a 1 hour quickie.. but I have a really bad mentality if I can't get the whole workout in, I may as well just skip the whole thing. I need to work on that...

For week 20, I was on call for work and I actually got calls that sorta messed up my sleep and workout schedule.. plus it was still freakin hot! One run and one bike got interrupted by afternoon call outs. Tropical storm systems near baja California can please stay away for the next 10 weeks, yes? Week 20 ended what is called "Build Phase" for this training program.

I can already tell you that Week 21 is not going as planned, as I went on a mini vacation and didn't work out at all for basically 3-4 days... But, its time to really focus on my workouts and get a good 9.5 weeks in til race day. CRUNCH TIME! and Peak Phase!